Marble and other natural stones look beautiful in your home, but they require special maintenance. To keep them looking pristine, you need superior marble cleaners. Cleaning marble can invoke anxiety in marble newbies. Choosing the wrong products can be damaging to your investment and call for expensive repair costs. If you want to avoid rookie mistakes, below we cover how to clean marble with the right products and which ones you should be avoiding. The cleaners we mention are safe on any natural stone, like marble, limestone, granite, travertine, onyx, and quartz. You can also use them on any finish, honed or polished.
What to Avoid When Cleaning Marble
When you embark on learning how to clean marble, the first rule is to steer clear of all common cleaners that are too harsh on delicate natural stones. Calcite-based stones like marble, limestone, and travertine are especially susceptible to etching. Etches are chemical burns that will need the help of professional stone restorers. For damage-free stones, avoid using the following cleaners.
- Everyday cleaning solutions like vinegar, bleach, and ammonia are not suitable for marble. Other than etches, they can leave your stone surfaces with ring marks, dull spots, or spray imprints.
- Acidic and citrus cleaners (lemon, citrus, vinegar) can also cause etching on marble or other stone surfaces.
- Common name brands like Tilex, Windex, and Lysol are very bad for natural stones. Household cleaners are often too harsh for marble.
- DIY cleaning mixtures often include vinegar, bleach, or soap. The majority of soaps will not damage your marble, but they leave a film that makes it look dull and hazy. It’s also tough to remove, which defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.
What Are the Best Cleaners for Marble or Other Stone Surfaces?
The best way to clean marble is with professional marble cleaners that have specialized non-damaging formulas. These products outperform other cleaners and provide safety for your natural stone surfaces. Our top products for cleaning marble are:
- MB-5 Stone & More Multi Surface Spray Cleaner
- Easy Oxy Multi Surface Spray Cleaner
- GT-1 Green Thing Multi-Surface Spray Cleaner
- MB-17 Stone Wipes
This spray cleaner is perfect for countertops, leaving a streak-free surface. Efficient and effortless, you can use it on natural stones and other surfaces like mirrors, glided fixtures, and delicate areas.
The multi-purpose cleaner is a powerful, oxygen-based solution that spot cleans, degreases, and deodorizes. Its potent formula contains surfactants that are powered by hydrogen peroxide. It can clean virtually any surface (that’s not damaged by water) and deodorize any home area with a mild citrus scent. You can use it to clean and freshen up your bathroom, shower, kitchen, garbage collection area, pet stains, carpet stains, and more. Easy Oxy cleaner is safe on any natural stone, including marble, granite, limestone, travertine, slate, quartz, etc. It doubles as a laundry pre-spray and works well on stainless steel appliances.
This pH neutral cleaner is an EPA certified green product. It is easy to use, and its efficient formula cleans all natural stones (honed and polished), but also porcelain, ceramic, Corian laminate, and even painted walls. You can also use it to shine up mirrors, windows, and metal fixtures.
Nothing beats the practicality of doing some quick cleaning on your countertops with the MB Stone Wipes. They also work amazing for some light cleaning on your shower stalls. The pre-moistened wipes have an adapted formula of the highly popular MB-5 Stone & More Multi Surface Spray Cleaner. Safe on all natural-occurring stones.
Needing a specialty cleaner or more help on which product is best for your stone? Contact Us!