Nov 2nd 2021 / General Stone Care
Reconditioning Granite: A Step-by-Step Process
Granite is one of the most popular countertop materials in use today. It's durable, stylish, and easy to maintain. However, over time granite can become damaged or stained from dirt and spills. Reconditioning your kitchen counters will not only improve the look of your home; it'll make them easier to clean as well! This post walks you through a step-by-step process for reconditioning granite that anyone can follow - don't let stains get between you and a beautiful kitchen!
What you need
Before you start granite reconditioning, you need to have the necessary tool on hand. They include:
- A granite reconditioning kit contains deep cleaning cream, spray cleaner spray polish, hogs hair pads, and microfiber pads.
- Baking soda
- Steel wool
IMPORTANT: Always make sure to mask off and protect surfaces that could be spattered by product. Wear safety glasses and gloves. Make sure the surface is free of any coatings, waxes, sealers, grease, and/or soil.
The following directions are an average recommendation. Different stones may require different quantities of product along with various techniques. If you are in doubt, do not hesitate to call us.
Steps to reconditioning granite:
- Sweet or wipe down the surface with a dry cloth to remove any debris
- Spray surface down with MB-5 Stone & More Multi Surface Spray Cleaner or Easy Oxy Multi Surface Spray Cleaner
- If any food or other items are stuck to the surface, carefully scrape off the surface with a single edged razor blade and remove debris from top.
- Apply Easy Scrub to the surface and work in with a white pad on low RPMs (600-800). Work in one section at a time.
- Spray the surface down with spray cleaner and wipe down thoroughly until no residue is left. Use a terry cloth or Microfiber towel
- Polish the surface with MB-20 Granite Polish with a white pad or hogs hair pad. Work in sections, 4 square feet at a time.
- Spray the surface down once more with spray cleaner. Wipe and dry thoroughly.
- If sealing, apply MB-24 Barrier impregnating sealer.
- After the sealer is dry and the stone has returned to its natural color, apply MB Ultimate Spray Polish on the surface and buff in with a Microfiber pad until dry.
For maintenance, use MB-5 Stone & More, or Easy Oxy cleaner daily. Approximately once a week, spray MB Ultimate Spray Polish and thoroughly buff in with a Microfiber towel or pad.
Use these steps for reconditioning your granite countertops. It'll help keep them stain-free and looking like new for years. If you're unsure how to proceed, consult an expert for advice on reconditioning your granite countertops.